Tuesday, October 18, 2011

You Say Banahhna and I say Banana


A month or two ago, a facebook friend posted that a European friend was visiting the US and needed a place to stay as a home-base while she toured. She asked if any of her fb friends would be willing to put her up.

Within seconds of reading the post, and without consulting my better half, I answered, "Any friend of yours is a friend of mine." Our mutual friend is a good person, and she wouldn't let a bad person into my life. Plus, I was young once, and used to travel alone, and I would have loved to have been able to stay somewhere with local people who were aware of my comings and goings and could serve as a safety net for me.

The next thing I knew, I was in contact with our young traveller and anticipating her arrival. The world really isn't that big a place as long as you have friends in it and opening your home and heart to a complete stranger is one way to make the world a better place. So we embraced the idea wholeheartedly, as no half-assed effort would do the gesture justice.

Davinder stole my heart before she ever stepped foot in my house. Immediately I knew she was lovely through and through, and John and I can't do enough for her because we really want to. She's stolen our hearts.

Sometimes, you just have to go a little out of your safety zone to take a chance on humanity, and the rewards, are yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment